Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Networking is Key


I have been volunteering for the past few months with the Appleton Probation Office.  I mentor 1st time offenders that need to meet their probation terms.  I meet weekly with  the person I mentor.  At first I'd just let her tell me whatever she wanted to tell me.  I wanted her just feel comfortable. After the 2nd visit we started setting goals and laying out her budget and personal goals.  As the weeks went on, I started attending her W-2 meetings with her. I met her case worker at the Human Services, and a couple weeks into going to these meetings, I received a call.
It was her case worker!  She was calling to let me know that there is a job opening doing the same exact job she does, and how she thought I would be a great candidate.  She told her boss my name, and mentioned they are just waiting on my resume, and cover letter. 
It was a lot of information for me to all gather on my way into my bartending job.  I was not expecting this call, nor did I ever think networking was really all that successful.

Boy was I wrong.  Though I haven't gotten the Job yet, I am feeling great about where I am headed in life.  Knowing that I have the recommendation from someone in the current position brings on a great feeling of self esteem.  Even if I don't get this job, I think this was a good push to get back into the job search.  For quite a while my insecurities were taking over my brain. i have wasted too much time putting my life on hold. 

 My interview was supposed to be this afternoon, but was postponed by the interviewer until Monday. Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment